Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Around the Horn


Travis tells Lucas by Day - Duncan by night that he used to be a sailor. He was a member of the Merchant Navy and was skipper to a frigate that sailed around the Cape of Good Hope to Oceans far away.

'Wow'. Says Lucas by day - Duncan by night.

'Oh Yes', says Travis, why do you think I am known as Skip Jack Tuna, Mayo on the side? I was renowned for my ability to sniff out tuna, no matter how fierce the storm, no matter what time the night, even if they were disguised as frenchmen, I could sniff them out them out and dip them in Mayo before you could say......skip jack tuna, mayo on the side!'

'WOW!'. Says Lucas by day - Duncan by night.

'Oh Yes', says Travis, but then the cold and the damp gave me arthritic hips, and what with the scurvy and the waves I decided to retire. So I packed up all my belongings and crippled to shore. The Navy were very good, they sent me to the Blue Cross to recover and to hopefully find a good home where they didn't mind salty old sea dogs with creaking hips and wind in their main brace. And in fact, After all those years at sea with the wind in my fur, after all those years of far away places, of a bitch in every port, I have decided that I actually prefer being a landlubber.'

'And this is because I have discovered that there is, in fact, nothing better than spinning around in a crazed and excitable manner in the sitting room.'

He looked across at Lucas by day - Duncan by night and was in no way surprised to find him on the otherside of the room staring intently at a minute part of the wall.

http://www.bluecross.org.uk/web/site/AboutUs/About_Us.asp?menuID=-1&MenuItemID=18&MenuType=PAGE

No comments: